The Apple watch series 3 is water-resistant but not fully waterproof. Even no Apple watch series is waterproof. The series 3 Apple Watch has a water-resistance rating of 50 meters under ISO standard 22810:2010. So you can go 50 meters deep into any water resources wearing this watch.
The previous versions of Apple watches are less water-resistance than this version. But one common thing all of these watches have is the water locking apps. It prevents the water to start functioning touch of the watch under the water.
How long is the Apple watch series 3 waterproof for
The Apple watch series 3 can remain waterproof for 30 minutes at around 1-meter deep water. It means anyone wearing an Apple watch can go deep into the water and keep the watch submerged for 30 minutes. The functionality of the watch won’t be disturbed because of this.
- The Apple Watch Series 3 can go deep into the water down to 50 meters without damaging the functionality.
- You can keep the watch underneath the water for 30 minutes and don’t need to worry about the functionality damage either.
- The watch can withstand normal water splash, rain, swimming, or any water connections.
- You can turn on the water lock feature to prevent the touch functionality under the water.
- The watch is also good for using during the shower until it comes closer to the soapy water, which is not good for an Apple watch series 3.
How to turn the water lock on an Apple watch series 3
You can turn the water lock on an Apple watch series 3 automatically or manually. There are functions for swimming or surfing that turns the water lock feature automatically when you are doing so. Or else you can turn it on by manual setup.
- Automatic way: There is a workout app in the Apple watch series 3. You will find two swimming options there, open water swim and pool swim. When you are ready to begin your swimming workout, you need to tap on one of these options and it will automatically turn on the water lock.
- Manual way: First, go into the watch face by swiping up. Then touch and hold the bottom of the display. After that, when the control center arrives on the screen open it up. There is a water lock (Sign of a drop of water) icon and tap the icon to turn the water lock on.
The water lock feature is undoubtedly an impressive addition to the Apple watch series 3. While this feature is turned on, the touch of the watch won’t respond to any taps from the user. It will thus not function under the water.
This feature prevents the watch from any accidental functions. Moreover, it can wipe out the water inside the watch when you unlock it after coming out of the water.
Can I swim wearing an Apple watch series 3
As for the Apple Watch Series 3 is made of shallow-water activities, you can swim wearing this version of an Apple watch. The watch is highly water-resistant and you can do the swimming workout in open water or a swimming pool, whichever one you prefer.
- You can do as deep as 50 meters in the water, which makes the watch suitable for swimming.
- There is an automatic water lock feature, which turns of the touch activity of the screen when it detects the user is swimming.
- Apple watch series 3 comes with manual water lock features, which prevents unwanted tapping under the water. It allows you to swim as long as you want.
- Although swimming is valid wearing this watch, should never use this for water skiing, scuba diving, any other high-velocity water activities.
Is it okay to take a shower with the Apple watch series 3
Yes, it is okay to take a shower with the Apple watch series 3 unless it meets any soapy water. Apple made the watch highly water-resistant but not waterproof. It allows the user to use the watch under normal watery conditions including rain, swimming, shower, and so on.
- It is obvious to use soap and shampoos during the shower, which is never a friendly one for the watch. Until you are using these elements during the shower, you need not take off the watch.
- You should also keep this apple watch series away from perfume, solvents, detergents, acids, oil, lotions, and sunscreens.
- Coming close to these elements, your Apple watch series 3 will lose its water-resistance feature gradually.
How to eject water from an Apple watch series 3
The addition of water lock features also lets you eject the extra water that went inside the water after the workout session. Like turning on the feature, you can also turn it off automatically and manually.
Turning off automatically
You first need to pause the workout session, and to do so, press the digital crown and the side button at the same time. Then rotate the digital crown in any direction to unlock the screen. There will a series of tones noticeable in the watch to clean the water inside.
Turning off manually
To unlock the watch manually, you need to rotate the digital crown until the blue teardrop fills the circular icon. This will consequently turn the screen on, and you will hear a series of sounds that ejects the water inside the watch.
Are other Apple watch series waterproof?
Nope, none of the Apple watch series is waterproof. But all of them are water-resistant more or less. If you sweat during workouts, if you swim under deep water, go out in the rain, an apple watch can go and function well under all these circumstances.
Apple Watch Series 1
This is the first version of the Apple watches and it has a water-resistance rating of IPX7 under the IEC standard of 60529. For normal water splashes or drizzling conditions, you can use this watch. But Apple strictly prohibited using it under heavy watery circumstances.
Apple Watch Series 2 and successors
The later or newer versions of Apple watches have a better water-resistance rating. You can use swimming, a shower, or other workout sessions without worrying about losing the water-resistance.
Is Apple watch bands waterproof
Genuine Apple watch bands are made of fluoroelastomer, which is similar to silicone. Silicone bands are also used in Apple watches, but it is a third-party band. These bands are typically resistant to water to some extent but never waterproof likewise the Apple watches.
However, the users of Apple watches also use metal or leather bands. It might seem that these bands are strong but none of these is water-resistant. You should never submerge these bands into water.
What should I do when the Apple Watch gets wet?
If somehow your Apple watch gets wet, you can clean it using soft and non-abrasive cloth. Never use any heating components or sprays for cleaning purposes. You need to clean the screen, the band of the Apple watches when it gets wet somehow.
You may think the latest technology has made the Apple watches waterproof. But honestly, no electronic is waterproof, neither is the apple watch. However, the Apple watch series 3 is far water-resistant than the older versions.